Award-Winning Documentary & Travel Photographer
Andy’s career began with studying portraiture and editorial photography under renowned photographer, Bill Jackson, at Leamington Spa College. His subsequent 13 years experience as a newspaper photographer taught him that an expertly-taken picture is often the most powerful way of conveying a story, a personality or an emotion.
From musicians and artists such as B.B. King, Chuck Berry, Pavarotti and Lee Scratch Perry to African tribesmen, Cuban tobacco farmers, Costa Rican Americana and the Aborigines of Australia, Andy’s pictures get inside the subject. His style is reportage; one of observation and waiting for the right moment to emerge in order to capture the perfect shot.
Andy launched his freelance career to pursue his own creative projects, including four photography books. His latest work, PEOPLE, a celebration of humanity shot in 15 countries over five continents, has earned rave reviews from many photographers including MAGNUM and National Geographic photographer, David Alan Harvey, who described it as:
"Superb! Classic people pictures perfectly executed."
Andy was also the photographer behind the world’s first charity e-book; Holding onto Hope; which also ran as two exhibitions at St. James' Club, Mayfair (the only exhibition ever to be held at this prestigious venue) and London’s Menier Gallery - it featured a series of celebrity photographs in aid of Ovacome, a charity which is particularly close to Andy’s heart. One of these - a photo of the late Tara Palmer Tomkinson - is available to buy on 100Prints.co.uk - you can find it in our 'Portraits' section - all profits from the sale of this print will go to Ovacome.
- Fuji Film Euroean Press Awards, News Photographer UK Winner, 1997/98
- Fuji Film European Press Awards, Features Photographer Of The Year, 1996/97
- BT National Press & Broadcasting Awards, News Photographer Of The Year, National & Regional Winner, 1993/94
- Guild Of British Picture Editors Awards, Photographer Of The Year - Highly Commended, 1993/4
- BT National Press & Broadcasting Awards, News Photographer Of The Year, National & Regional Winner, 1992/93
- BT National Press & Broadcasting Awards, News Photographer Of The Year - Highly Commended, 1998/9
- Holding On To Hope 1, St. James's Club, Mayfair, London. In aid of Ovacome, 2007
- Holding On To Hope 2, Menier Gallery, Southwark, London. In aid of Ovacome, 2012
See all prints in the Andy Scaysbrook Collection.
You can now have your own or your family's portraits shot by Andy via his new business venture: